Re: Context and... Re: the case of two bats

Al Gilman wrote:

> At 10:07 PM 2000-06-14 -0400, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
> >
> >The namespace spec uses matching for only one purpose: kicking out
> >documents as invalid.  Once you've decided a document is valid, the
> >namespace spec has nothing more to say about matching.
>
> Would that it were so.  Consider the last two paragraphs in the following
> quote from the Recommendation.  The authors clearly intended that the
> namespace name, by which they meant the literal value of the ns-attr, was
> the basis for matching markup vocabularies and their proper processors.

I think there are two kinds of matching going on: matching of names to
processors, as you say, and matching of names to other names, i.e., saying
that this prefix refers to the same namespace as that prefix.  The namespace
spec provides a notation that enables the first kind of matching, but doesn't
do anything to implement that matching.   The second kind of matching is what
happens in XPath but not in the namespace spec, once validity has been
ensured.

Paul Abrahams