Re: XML Core WG needs input on xml:lang=""

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:22:01 -0400 (EDT)
To: tex@i18nguy.com (Tex Texin)
Cc: duerst@w3.org (Martin Duerst), ricko@topologi.com (Rick Jelliffe), w3c-xml-plenary@w3.org, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, xml-editor@w3.org, w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org, jcowan@reutershealth.com (John Cowan)

Tex Texin scripsit:

> I am under the impression that using xml:lang="" today would be invalid
> XML.
> Therefore the document containing it should be rejected, no?

It's not 100% clear.  The text of the XML Recommendation 2nd ed.,
as altered by erratum E29, reads:

	The values of the attribute are language identifiers as defined
	by [IETF RFC 3066], Tags for the Identification of Languages,
	or its successor.

This does not contain the magic word "must", so it is not a
well-formedness requirement.  Certainly validity, in the technical
XML sense, has nothing to do with it.

--
John Cowan   jcowan@reutershealth.com   http://www.reutershealth.com
    "Mr. Lane, if you ever wish anything that I can do all you will have to do