Re: [xml-dev] XML Core WG needs input on xml:lang=""

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:08:47 -0400
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Cc: xml-editor@w3.org

At 8:37 AM -0400 8/2/02, John Cowan wrote:

>By the present rules, there is no way to express the fact that the
>content of the pre element is not in English.  (Computer languages are out
>of scope for RFC 3066 and have no codes.)

It should be noted that xml:lang="" is legal today under XML 1.0. It
is not malformed. Its validity depends completely on the DTD, but it
is not de facto invalid. A parser that issues a fatal error on
encountering this would itself be incorrect.

The XML 1.0 specification defines no semantic meaning for
xml:lang="", but honestly xml:lang is one of the few places where XML
can be said to define any semantics at all.

I am not convinced that any change is required to the existing spec.
The question of how to interpret the contents of the xml:lang
attribute is one for local processes.