Re: XML Core WG needs input on xml:lang=""

From: <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 16:06:19 +0100
To: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Cc: w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, w3c-xml-core-wg@w3.org, w3c-xml-plenary@w3.org, xml-editor@w3.org

On 03/08/2002 15:43:22 Al Gilman wrote:
> At 12:11 PM 2002-08-02, John Cowan wrote:
>
> >"Und" makes a statement
> >that we are ignorant, but "" makes no statement at all.
>
> Perhaps we have reached a point where we should ask the people who
> control the vocabulary wherein 'und' is an established entry.

The Library of Congress, responsible for the maintenance of ISO 639-2
language codes, informed us that:

   The language code "und" is used "if the language associated with an
   item cannot be determined" or "for works having textual content
   consisting of arbitrary syllables, humming or other human-produced
   sounds for which a language cannot be specified."--from MARC Code
   List for Languages.

Misha Wolf

[...]

the views of Reuters Ltd.