Re: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

From: Liam R. E. Quin <liamquin@interlog.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:41:35 -0400 (EDT)
To: xml-editor@w3.org, "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
On Wed, 24 May 2000, John Cowan wrote:
> Issue PE28:
>
> Currently the XML Recommendation is silent about the handling of
> documents that contain "impossible" bytes.  For example, the byte 0xFF
> cannot appear in any UTF-8 encoded document.

This seems to me to be sensible.
It does mean that the parser has to check the encoding, though.

> Issue PE24:
>
> Currently, system identifiers may or may not contain fragment identifiers
> (the string beginning with "#" at the end of a URI reference).

> We are considering changing this language to say that "it is an error" to
> use a fragment identifier.
What about XPointer?  #id(simon)
You have to allow fragment ids, and to make them optional, I think.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, Barefoot Computing, Toronto;  The barefoot programmer
Ankh on irc.sorcery.net, http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/