Re: unreachable symbols in the XML grammar

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:32:39 -0500
To: Michael.Goulish@SoftwareAG-USA.com
CC: xml-editor@w3.org, Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
> Michael.Goulish@SoftwareAG-USA.com wrote:
[...]
>    Starting from production "[1] document" I believe
>    that the following symbols are unreachable in the
>    XML 1.0 grammar:
>
>      [6]  Names
>      [8]  Nmtokens
>      [30] extSubset
>      [33] LanguageID
>      [78] extParsedEnt
>      [79] extPE

Yes, I just recently noticed that the LanguageID production
isn't reachable. I agree this is a bit awkward.

[...]

>    I would like to see unreachable symbols clearly marked
>    in some way -- perhaps given a different numbering scheme
>    to show that they are not part of the "main" grammar in
>    the same way as other productions are.  Maybe like
>    VC-1, VC-2, etc.

That's an appealing suggestion, but I wonder about the cost
of renumbering the other productions.

Anyway... thanks for the attention to deail. I hope we
can accomodate your request somehow.