Re: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

From: Taba Miklos <miklos.taba@innovativeideasoy.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:43:20 +0300
To: xml-editor@w3.org, "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
John Cowan wrote:

> The XML Core WG would like input from the xml-dev public, particularly
> those of you who have implemented XML parsers, on the following points:
>
> Issue PE28:
>
> Currently the XML Recommendation is silent about the handling of
> documents that contain "impossible" bytes.  For example, the byte 0xFF
> cannot appear in any UTF-8 encoded document.  We are considering making
> such violations of the encoding a fatal error.

That sounds very good.

Supposing the two possibiliy:
1. "impossible" bytes are fatal error
 - A severe application is glad, easy implementation is possible.
 - A relaxed application has some overhead to prepare the input
   for a strict parser.
2. "impossible"bytes are swallowed
 - A severe application has difficulties to preprocess
   the input source, if it can at all.
 - A relaxed application is satisfied.

I think the XML Core WG should support rather the strict
applications. Also, imho, any relaxed rule can
cause great interoperability problems.

BR

--
miklos.taba@innovativeideasoy.com