T is for Transfer

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:14:34 -0500 (EST)
To: PMAppleton@bemis.com (Appleton Pete M)
Cc: highland.m.mountain@intel.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org
> Yes, I do see HTTP as being purely transport.

With all due respect, it doesn't matter how you see it, it is *not* a
transport protocol.  You can use it this way, the same way I can use any
application protocol as a transport protocol by disregarding the task
that the application protocol is trying to coordinate.  But that doesn't
make it one.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/evaluation.htm#sec_6_5_3

MB