RE: T is for Transfer

From: Joseph Hui <jhui@digisle.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:51:55 -0800
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: "Appleton Pete M" <PMAppleton@bemis.com>, <highland.m.mountain@intel.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> From: Mark Baker [mailto:distobj@acm.org]
> BTW, what do you mean by "application-level payloads"?
E.g. SOAP messages, XML messages, ...
Note that HTTP messages can be seen as application-level payloads
as well.  Such payload's PDU is usually per-message, though
sometimes the boundaries are murky, like in the case of HTML text.

In contrast, TCP packets are transport-level payload for
network-level protocols like IP, where the PDU is per-packet.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service