RE: T is for Transfer

> From: Mountain, Highland M [mailto:highland.m.mountain@intel.com]
[snip]
> +1 to Eugene
>
> All,
>
> Given the reality of the industry, we need to find the best
> resolution to
> both sides of the transport/transfer argument. SOAP envelopes
> will be "sent"
> via HTTP, BUT we also need to preserve SOAP's protocol
> neutrality.  I like
> Joe's PDU view of the SOAP envelope sitting on top of
> HTTP(see snip below),
> but HTTP does provide features we should not ignore.

Yes, HTTP, and the TCP below HTTP, and the IP below TCP,
and the physical network infrastructure below IP, all
provide features that some SOAP nodes would like to use.
And the SOAP nodes can indeed use them without violating
the stack/layering model.  It can be done by borrowing
from Unix's ioctl(2) model.  (Ioctl's counterpart in
networking is getsockopt(3N) and setsockopt(3N), both.)
As a Unix user application can make setsockopt() to
configure socket, TCP, or IP options across layers,
e.g. setsockopt(...,SO_OOBINLINE,...), a SOAP application
should also be able to do so similarly, provided there's
an ioctl-like feature in SOAP.  So far, such feature is
not intrinsic to SOAP.  So one would have to improvise with
SOAP extensions.  (I've been doing that in my research into
SOAP Extensions for Web Services Delivery Networks (SEWSD).)

The idea is to keep SOAP as clean as possible, no pun intended,
by providing a single interface to reach and touch the gunk
in underlying layers.

BTW, I never wanted to get sucked into SOAP threads.
Aren't you folks supposed to wrap up SOAP 1.2 by April?
The above SOAP-ioctl thing was intended for SOAP 1.3 only.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service