RE: T is for Transfer

This is interesting.

Mark's right that HTTP, unlike TCP or UDP, is not a transport
protocol in an OSI or DARPA networking stack.

However, Highland's claim, as far as I can tell from the quoted text
in Mark's message, is only that HTTP can be seen as a transport.
I have no problem with referring to HTTP -- which itself assumes an
underlying reliable transport protocol, say TCP, for transferring
HTTP messages reliably -- as a transport, where HTTP message headers
and bodies are used to carry application-level payloads.

HTTP is not a transport protocol by design; but it doesn't stop people
from seeing it as one creatively, often for its "port-80 firewall
friendliness."  I'd be quite comfortable to design an application
protocol that specifies HTTP as its transport where in-band data
(e.g. HTML content) are carried in HTTP bodies, and out-of-band
data ( e.g. application-specific content signals) are embedded
in HTTP extended headers.

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service

htm#sec_6_5_3