Re: text/xml for SOAP is incorrect

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 03:53:25PM -0700, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> I don't actually think this is the issue but whenever somebody
> wants to establish a central registry--especially for things that a
> *lot* of design work has gone into avoiding central registration,
> like is the case for URIs and XML namespaces, I think there should
> be a really good reason for doing so. To be quite frank I don't see
> that in RFC 3023.

Right... but we're not talking about XML namespaces or URIs, we're
talking about content-type, which is, for better or worse, based upon
a central registry. HTTP uses it, and we're defining a binding to
HTTP, so we must deal with that.

A quick look at recent W3C TRs [1][2] shows that defining an
application-specific content-type for well-known XML formats is not
only current practice, but is current practice within the W3C.

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/intro.html#MIMEType
2. http://www.w3.org/TR/smil20/smil-modules.html#smilModulesNSSMIL20MimeType

--
Mark Nottingham