RE: text/xml for SOAP is incorrect

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:53:25 -0700
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek@idoox.com>, "christopher ferris" <chris.ferris@Sun.COM>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>> Well, isn't this how we have defined a mechanism for
>identifying SOAP
>> -- by the use of a specific XML Namespace identifier?
>
>It's a mechanism for identifying in the context of XML; i.e.,
>by an XML processor. Not necessarily by a MIME processor.

Right, but then why isn't application/xml sufficient?

>Current practice seems to indicate so. I think most people
>here will acknowledge that content-type has limitations, some
>of them severe. However, if we step back and limit the
>discussion to 'what content-type is typically used for, and
>therefore what should our content-type be?', rather than
>overloading it 'what content-type should be/could be capable
>of', I think the answer is fairly simple.

I don't actually think this is the issue but whenever somebody wants to
establish a central registry--especially for things that a *lot* of
design work has gone into avoiding central registration, like is the
case for URIs and XML namespaces, I think there should be a really good
reason for doing so. To be quite frank I don't see that in RFC 3023.

Henrik