RE: RPC issue: multiple body blocks

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:01:21 -0700
To: "Doug Davis" <dug@us.ibm.com>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "XML Distributed Applications List" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>I don't think the spec say anything about this, but, what
>about people using Headers for RPC?

It is mentioned somewhat in section "7.2 RPC and SOAP Header" [1].

>I'm assuming that this is
>perfectly legal so all of this talk about sec 7 RPC not
>allowing boxcarring would not change whether or not a single
>SOAP message can contain several headers where each one is in
>fact an RPC call, right? -Dug

While it certainly is true that we can't prevent boxcarring but I think
we can provide some guidance. In my experience, the primary reason for
doing boxcarring is performance and wrapping of some messages that are
related in some way - in and of itself not illegitimate goals.

However, personally, I would tend to say that although there might be
usecases for boxcarring, the downside is that it immensely complicates
life for intermediaries not to mention how to deal with fault codes and
I think better solutions can be achieved in other ways.

In any way, I agree with Mark that this would seem to be out of scope.

Henrik

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/06/01/soap-02-infoset.html#NFE2