Re: PROVREG and XML Protocol

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:34:32 -0700
To: Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com>
Cc: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:20:38PM -0400, Richard Shockey wrote:

> There is another serious reason NOT to consider SOAP. The IETF and
> the IESG are rather adamant that HTTP not be used as an transport
> by future application protocols.

Of course. However, SOAP is not constrained to HTTP.

Think of it as an XML messaging framework, NOT
rpc-using-xml-over-http. The BEEP binding of SOAP is just as valid as
the HTTP one.

Just to reiterate, I'm less concerned with getting PROVREG to
consider SOAP as a solution, and more interested in getting a bit of
cross-fertilisation, as both groups are tackling the same problems in
many areas.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist