Re: PROVREG and XML Protocol

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:57:04 -0400
To: Richard Shockey <rshockey@ix.netcom.com>
cc: Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@akamai.com>, ietf-provreg@cafax.se, XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, brunner@nic-naa.net
I agree with the general observation:

> This admonition not to use HTTP has been made quite clear in several ID's
> that are making their way to RFC's.  See:
>
> draft-moore-using-http-01.txt
>
> Several work groups went down the path of using HTTP as a transport, the
> Internet Print Protocol for instance, and that decision has caused them a
> boatload of grief.

However. draft-moore-using-<whatever> is another matter.

Having had the pleasure (none) of attempting to get technical content into
draft-iesg-http-cookies-03.txt before it was RFC'd as a BCP, (another Moore
draft, co-authored by Ned Freed), the unqualified citation of a cautionary
you'll-set-your-hair-on-fire polemic is low on my list of authoritative