RE: [DR008] - passing arbitrary content

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:48:09 -0800
To: <dick@8760.com>, "David E. Cleary" <davec@progress.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> I agree, if XP URI references are constrained to "local only"
> then none of
> the issues I
> raised will exist. Is it the groups consensus to constrain
> URI's to local
> references only? If not then we will need to deal with the
> issues I listed.

Could you please define what you mean by 'local reference' - we only use URIs
as identifiers and have no requirement to that the recipient does with
identifiers (or even knows what 'local' means). I am sorry if I missed your
list of issues - I can't find them in this thread?

> > XML Schemas does not suffer from this limitation, so encoding an XML
> > document for use within an XP PDU is not required.
> I agree, however SOAP has restrictions against certain "legal" XML
> content from appearing in a SOAP message, ref: section 3 of SOAP
> spec states:
> "A SOAP message MUST NOT contain a Document Type Declaration.
>  A SOAP message MUST NOT contain Processing Instructions. [7]"
> This means any XML document containing PI's or DOCTYPE's must be
> "scrubbed" (or base64 encoded) before being placed in a
> SOAP:Body. Scrubbing
> could
> cause a problem for "signed data".

Yes, this is in fact an issue which is listed on the SOAP issues list:

listed from