Re: Announcement: WWW9 Panel on XML and Protocols, 17 May 2000

From: MOREAU Jean-Jacques <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:28:12 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>, David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com>, "'Eric Prud'hommeaux'" <eric@w3.org>, Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>, xml-dist-app@w3.org, Janet Daly <janet@w3.org>
Dan Connolly wrote:

> >The real question is therefore whether SOAP allows you
> > to build such applications while remaining as simple and straight
> > forward as possible.
>
> Really? Is that what everybody else things the real question is?
>
> I thought David's point about publish/subscribe etc. was very
> relevant to the discussion at hand

So do I : these things need to be tigthly integrated with the core system, not
bolted-on add-ons, even though some transports/etc. may not support them (e.g.
HTTP+firewall).

(Thinking more about this, I think Henrik is implicitely considering SOAP as a
strawman proposal, and asking whether it is good enough for B2B applications. Henrik
-pardon me if I am getting this wrong.)

--
Jean-Jacques Moreau, Canon Research Centre France.