Fwd: LOPT: serialization algorithm suggestions

From: Constantine Plotnikov <cap@mail.novosoft.ru>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 16:17:04 +0700
To: MOREAU Jean-Jacques <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>, David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com>, "'Eric Prud'hommeaux'" <eric@w3.org>, Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>, xml-dist-app@w3.org

1. Could you please reconsider serialization algorithm?
As for as I understand from your site the SOAP is starting
point for LOPT development.

We had some problems with implementing soap protocol in java.
The algorithm require two passes for serialization and

The basic idea I suggest is the same as in java and XMI 1.1
serialization algorithm.

When object is serialized, it is assgined id and it is written
<Type id="id0" >
  // contents

Later (in the body of the the element or or ), when reference is
encountered, empty element with href is used.

<List t="i0">
  <Type id="i1" >
      <Element id="i2">
          <Type href="i1"/>
      <Element id="i2">
  <Type id="id0"/>

It allow single pass serialization/desirailaization and references
to parent. I do not suggest to use exactly this representation
for protocol. For example XMI 1.1 like optimization for representation
of values may be used. I just want to make (de)serialization simple and
single pass.

2. Could you please include standard collection types in LOPT namespace.
I think there should be:

There may be other like Array.