Re: Announcement: WWW9 Panel on XML and Protocols, 17 May 2000

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:59:46 -0500
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
CC: David Burdett <david.burdett@commerceone.com>, "'Eric Prud'hommeaux'" <eric@w3.org>, Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>, xml-dist-app@w3.org, Janet Daly <janet@w3.org>

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
[...]
> As such, it is not strictly fair to apply requirements to SOAP for which
> it intentionally has nothing to say. I do not argue that the
> requirements that you mention are not important but you also mention
> that they are applicable to a specific set scenarios that may not be
> globally valid. The real question is therefore whether SOAP allows you
> to build such applications while remaining as simple and straight
> forward as possible.

Really? Is that what everybody else things the real question is?

I thought David's point about publish/subscribe etc. was very
relevant to the discussion at hand, i.e. what problem, if
any, should W3C charter a working group (or working groups) to solve?

	"W3C solicits input regarding what its role should be in the
development
	of this area of work [i.e. the use of XML in distributed applications,
	network protocols, and messaging systems]"
	-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/