ZNG - what is the long-range objective?

From: Leif Andresen <LEA@bs.dk>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:19:32 +0200
To: "'www-zig@w3.org'" <www-zig@w3.org>
To ZIG-list

It is unclear to me what is the long-range objective of the actual
ZNG-proposal.

I can see two very different:

A) A light weight protocol for search-and-retrieval for end-users in
databases with no overlap to the Z39.50 system-to-system protocol.

B) A protocol with focus on search-and-retrieval for end-user, but with
extensions to carry library-to-library data exchange.

The name ZNG - Z39.50 next generation - says B, men the text in the proposal
say A.

If A - why not co-operation with the OpenURL project? Some of the practical
use of OpenURL are search-and-retrieval and not only linking.

Best regards

Leif Andresen
Danish National Library Authority

PS. I send this til ZIG-list 31-7-2001 where nobody reacted - may be the
reason was holidays.