Re: Question on implementation of the language property

From: Dave Pawson <daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:27:23 -0700
To: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>, www-xsl-fo@w3.org

At 14:05 23/07/2002, Paul Grosso wrote:

>We welcome input from all interested implementors and users.

I'm sure you know the specs Paul, I don't have them to hand.
[Oh dear, one was a 3 digit, one a 4 digit]
I helped out with an International effort on digital talking books,
and the final decision there was to use a two string format,
en-US vs en-UK,
fr-FR  vs fr-CA etc. (from memory).

We had issues with case sensitivity, but members from the far East,
US, Eu seemed satisfied with the combination, in that it provided
applications with sufficient to make it workable.

The Canadian contingent insisted on the ability to differentiate
Canadian French from French French, we realised that US/UK were
seperated by a common language :0) so we agreed.

Just my 0.02Eu worth.

regards DaveP