Re: Question on implementation of the language property

[aside]

At 2002-07-24 18:27 -0700, Dave Pawson wrote:
>The Canadian contingent insisted on the ability to differentiate
>Canadian French from French French,

Québecoise French is, I am led to believe, similar to 300-year-old French
French.  We are taught French French in Canadian English schools.  This
became painfully obvious to me in the late 1980's when I was dealing with
customers from Montréal who themselves had a customer from France.  With
all of us in a room, neither the gentleman from France nor I (who could
easily understand each other) could easily understand the French used by
either of the gentlemen from Montréal.

Of particular curiosity I'm told that the swear words in Québecoise that
I've always assumed were bona-fide words of the church and religion only
sound like such words and are purposely spelled differently by one or two
letters (though phonetically one cannot really tell the difference) ...
perhaps allowing the words to be used in vain without recourse?

>we realised that US/UK were
>seperated by a common language :0) so we agreed.

Same difference between Canadian English and U.S. English, and the two
countries are the largest trading partners in the world!

Because I sell so few of my electronic books and training services to
Canadians compared to Americans, we consciously chose from day one of our
company to write all our works in U.S. English and to follow those language
conventions on our web site.

Dealing with language is never easy or clear-cut.

................. Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:
-                               North America:  Sep 30-Oct  4,2002

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1                Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:           2002-08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03,07,10