Re: Using an XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser

AndrewWatt2001@aol.com writes:

> I have added a mention of your list to www.XSL-FO.com. Could you
> check what I have written to confirm that the instructions are
> correct please?

I suggest you use "www-xsl-fo-request@w3.org" as the text of your link
rather than www-xsl-fo so that people don't get confused. And just
sending an email there doesn't work. Please point to
http://www.w3.org/Mail/ for instructions Otherwise I wouldn't mind if
it was on the same level as YahooGroups' list (I don't care that much,
but I still think my list is better than yours ;)

> You say I "should avoid" serving .fo files. Can I ask you to
> clarify?

Sending formatting objects over the web is considered a Bad Thing [1].
Sending XML+XSL makes more sense in that users can override the XSL
style sheets they receive with other templates that reflect their
preferences (in theory). Now I understand that this is just a test and
I'm actually very happy to see people starting to use XSL on the web
and not just for on paper. But I, and a lot of people at W3C, wouldn't
like to see FO files sent all over the web.

> Do you mean something other than that the option to serve
> XML with suitable XSL stylesheets is also there?

No.

> After they are convinced that it can do useful things then it will
> be easier to convince them that the mechanics of creating XSL-FO are
> also interesting.  At least, that's my view. :)

Congratulations, and thanks a lot.

Max.