Re: Using an XSL Formatter as an XSL-FO Web Browser

In a message dated 08/02/01 17:41:16 GMT Standard Time, mf@w3.org writes:

> AndrewWatt2001@aol.com writes:
>
> > If you have downloaded the pre-release version of the XSL Formatter
> simply
> > type "http://www.xsl-fo.com/HelloWorld.fo" in the small window for
> entering
> > the Document name and then click the Blue button to run the Formatter
> and,
> > hey presto, you can view an XSL-FO page across the Web.
>
> xsl-fo.com should avoid serving fo files, especially since Antenna
> House can transform as well as render.  Why don't you send XML+XSL
> instead?  (and maybe you could point to this list as well as egroups).

Hi Max,

I have added a mention of your list to www.XSL-FO.com. Could you check what I
have written to confirm that the instructions are correct please?

You say I "should avoid" serving .fo files. Can I ask you to clarify? Do you
mean something other than that the option to serve XML with suitable XSL
stylesheets is also there?

The reason I chose to serve .fo at this stage is that it is easier for those
new to XSL-FO to actually see an XSL-FO file across the Web. Many people I
have contact with see XSL-FO as only a dull paper-orientated technology. I
wanted to put something on the Web to let them see that it can be viewed on
screen and on the Web.

OK, I admit that the Hello World file isn't exactly exciting design. <grin/>
But it is a start.

After they are convinced that it can do useful things then it will be easier
to convince them that the mechanics of creating XSL-FO are also interesting.
At least, that's my view. :)

Regards

Andrew Watt