Re: markup editorial: <div class="p">

On 7 Jul 2008, at 07:27 , Elliotte Harold wrote:

> I noticed in the source code of the latest structures draft
> frequent use of

> This seems silly. Why not just mark paragraphs as paragraphs? That
> is, <p>.

The div element with class="p" is used in cases where the paragraph
in the XML source contains a list or other block-level element
whose HTML representation is not allowed inside of HTML 'p' elements.

In other words, it's a symptom of a mismatch between the views of
paragraph-hood in the xmlspec and HTML vocabularies.  I don't know
how other specs that use the xmlspec DTD solve this problem; some
of them, I believe, just generate invalid 'p' elements and rely on
tidy to clean things up.  I'd do that too, except that the last time
I tried, tidy introduced some whitespace in a location where it
was unconditionally unacceptable to introduce whitespace.

> There is a tag for paragraphs. Let's use it.

Yes.  But at the risk of sounding like Pontius Pilate, I'll ask
"but what is a paragraph"?

--Michael Sperberg-McQueen