RE: Question about number types

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:29:06 +0100
To: "'Alan Ruttenberg'" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>

> Was there at any point explicit rejection of have a
> mathematical real number datatype (possibly augmented with
> some constants such as INF, -
> INF) from which the rest of the numeric types were defined by
> restriction?

I don't know, but the XQuery/XSLT specs got around the problems, so it's not
impossible. The "type" called "numeric" in the QT specs is not really a
genuine data type, it's more of a specification macro, but all the numeric
operations in QT allow the three primitive numeric types to be mixed.

If you want to define operations based on the XML Schema datatypes, I would
strongly suggest using the operations defined in XQuery/XSLT Functions and
Operators.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/