Re: Proposed resolution for issue 198

The Internet media type system doesn't have a general concept of
validity, so I'm uncomfortable linking XML Schema validity to
format-specific constraints in this manner; implementations may
interpret them in different ways, causing interoperability problems.

A safer approach would be to stay silent on the relationship between
schema validity and media types, and forcing any errors to the
application level.

Cheers,

On Aug 1, 2004, at 5:37 PM, Anish Karmarkar wrote:

> Issue 198 [1] states:
> "Mismatch between value of media type attribute and pattern -- says
> nothing about the data."
>
> I understand this issue to mean that the 'Assigning Media Types to
> Binary Data in XML' document does not say anything about what happens
> if the value of the 'contentType' attribute does not match the schema
> annotation.
>
> I would like to suggest that we resolve this issue by saying that this
> case is no different than the case of a message not conforming with
> the schema specified in WSDL for that message.
>
> -Anish
> --
>
> [1]
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/ws/desc/issues/wsd-
> issues.html#x198
> [2]
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/media-types/xml-
> media-types.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems