Re: "Bulk load" get/set

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:00:42 -0400
To: Jim Webber <jim.webber@arjuna.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:46:47AM -0400, Jim Webber wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> > So, I propose that interfaces with attributes implicitly
> > support two operations, GET and PUT.  GET would return an XML
> > document which contains a serialized form of all attributes,
> > and PUT would accept an XML document and update the value of
> > the attributes to those reflected in that document.
>
> This takes WSDL from being a language for building interfaces (and you know
> that I don't really mean "interfaces" in the classical sense there), into an
> interface.
>
> Surely if attributes are required (and that case has really only been
> supported in strength by the Gridf community), then how to expose those
> attributes is an application-level thing?

Erm, did I misread the minutes?  It seems to me that the WG *already*
decided that get/set operations would be used.  That doesn't prescribe
a binding, of course, but neither does my proposal; that the operations
I proposed are "GET" and "PUT" doesn't prevent a binding to FTP RETR
and STOR, for example.

Mark.