Re: What does WSDL describe?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:12:53 -0500
To: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:33:37AM +0600, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Can you explain what the difference between that and Savas' model is
> please? Please use something non-committal like "foo" for <operation>
> so that we can talk rationally without having mental connotations
> on what these words mean.

Alright, but I'm getting really abstract here ...

Consider the data "12345", suitably SOAP-ized.  If that is sent
to a service, and we get a successful response back, what are the
possible interpretations of that success?

One is simply that the data was "processed".  Behind the scenes,
perhaps it was stored in a file, added to another number, subtracted
from some other, etc...  But that's *totally invisible* to the sender;
to it, "success" just means "processed".

A different interpretation of "success" could be that the recipient
interpreted some symbol in the data - the "1" perhaps - to be a specific
request that the opaque part of the data - "2345" - be, say, spit out on
a printer.

Any better?

Mark.