Re: What does WSDL describe?

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:04:33 +0600
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your explanation.

> Consider the data "12345", suitably SOAP-ized.  If that is sent
> to a service, and we get a successful response back, what are the
> possible interpretations of that success?

I think we can stop right here - the possible interpretations are
out of scope for WSDL. Some may want to interpret it as "processed"
while others may want to interpret it as "success." Not WSDL's role
to pick one of those interpretations as "it."

WSDL is pretty damn lame really - it just says a document conforming
to this schema goes in and another conforming to that schema comes
out. That's it. *Really* lame. :-(.

Going beyond that is not the job for WSDL. I thought that's what
the semantic Web was about, but I really don't grok SW stuff yet.

All IMO, of course.