Re: New issue [distobj@acm.org: Re: What does WSDL describe?]

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:59:31 -0400
To: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:14:29AM -0700, Jonathan Marsh wrote:
> I'm with Sanjiva in not grasping this issue.  Is this just a fancy way
> to ask whether message signatures should be unique on the wire (an issue
> which we are already debating)?  I don't see any difference between a
> processor point of view, though they may imply different application
> semantics.

Consider the question, "What is being asked of the service"?

If you're only sending state, then what is being asked is that the
state be processed.  If you're sending state+operation, what is being
asked?  There are two possibilities;

- that the state+operation be treated as just state and that it be
processed as in the first example, or
- that the operation be executed

To understand the difference between "operation execution" and
"state processing", consider the example of a Web service which
takes any state it receives, and spits it out on a scrolling LED
ticker.  That's state processing.

TimBL also had some comments on this recently, though not in the context
of service description;

"What can a symbol
require of a person? Nothing. What can receipt of a message which uses
a symbol require of a person? Nothing. You can't require people to do
thing by sending them things.

We can define a *protocol* in which people do do things, and we can
that if people adhere to the protocol interesting results can be
assured.  Then conformance with the protocol would require that one do
 -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sw-meaning/2003Sep/0130.html