Re: PROPOSAL: Drop interface/operation/(input|output)/@headers

"Umit Yalcinalp" <umit.yalcinalp@oracle.com> writes:
> I have one "naive" question about your proposal.
>
> I can envision two different use cases for headers, application specific
> and middleware introduced. For the latter, one can envision using
> properties and features (as has been discussed in this thread) and/or
> specific specs that deal with a specific feature (which is the case
> today with WS-* specs).
>
> However, I am not clear on what options we are leaving to applications
> that would like to define headers. Can you clarify this if we were to
> remove headers?

In our internal discussions, we've concluded that even when
applications do introduce headers, that is done as a result of
some policy being applied. Thus, just having a mechanism to
declare a header isn't enough - one has to say what the
lifecycle of that header is, what scope it has (not share
across operations, shared across some ops, shared across all
ops etc.).

In other words, the mechanism in the current draft is woefully
inadequate to describe headers. Extending the functionality is
an option, but I don't think that's a path the WG will like to
go on because it'll dramatically complicate WSDL for everyone.
[Tom, where are you? ;-)]

Hence our proposal that headers be dropped and left in the
domain of policies to introduce and describe the semantics /
lifecycle of.

My apologies for the delay in replying.

Sanjiva.