W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > January 2003

Minutes 19 December 2002 WS Desc telcon

From: Sakala, Adinarayana <Adi.Sakala@iona.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:11:12 -0500
Message-ID: <C142FEA7FA267C4E883AABCDA9F3979BAC46E3@amereast-ems1.IONAGLOBAL.COM>
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>


W3c Web Services Description Teleconference 12/19/2002
      Minutes of Meeting

Present:

 Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
 Glen Daniels           Macromedia
 Youenn Fablet          Canon
 Dietmar Gaertner       Software AG
 Steve Graham           Global Grid Forum
 Martin Gudgin          Microsoft
 Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
 Philippe Le Hégaret    W3C
 Amelia Lewis           TIBCO
 Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
 Jonathan Marsh         Chair (Microsoft)
 Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle
 Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 Don Mullen             Tibco
 Arthur Ryman           IBM
 Adi Sakala             IONA Technologies
 Jeffrey Schlimmer      Microsoft
 Igor Sedukhin          Computer Associates
 William Stumbo         Xerox
 Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
 Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc. 

Regrets:
 David Booth            W3C
 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 Sandeep Kumar          Cisco Systems
 Lily Liu               webMethods
 Waqar Sadiq            Electronic Data Systems
 William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
 Joyce Yang             Oracle

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda

1.  Minute Taker: Adi Sakala

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  Approval of minutes of Dec 5 telcon [.1].
    
[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Dec/att-0074/01-_ws-desc_12_12-cleaned.html
	[PENDING]

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].
?         2002-11-12: Paco will write two options for naming faults: 
                      schema vs WSDL. 
				[PENDING: Arthuer to follow up]
?         2002-11-12: Roberto will try and come up with another proposal
                      for eliminating message, the discussion goes to 
                      email or the next f2f.
				[PENDING]
	    2002-11-12: Marsh to contact the XMLP WG (and later the wider
                      public) speaking about the issues around removing 
                      the use attribute.
				[PENDING]
?         2002-11-12: Glen and Paco to chase the Global Grid Forum 
                      WRT services implementing a single portType.
				[PENDING]
?         2002-11-21: Don Mullen to detail changes/addition necessary to
                      unify SOAP and WSDL MEPs.
?         2002-11-21: Jonathan to refer R120 text to TAG, referencing
                      TAG issue fragmentinXML-28, when that text
                      appears in the draft.
				[PENDING]
?         2002-12-05: Arthur to propose an HTTP binding approach for 
                      output only (No consesus)
				Arthur: Not able to achieve consensus on proposal for HTTP binding approach for output only operations
				Arthur: two opinions about outbound operations.
				Arthur: one for light weight things like notification
					  two, use BPEL for defining notifications
?         2002-12-05: Glen to write up a description of the issues
                      surrounding property description in WSDL. 
				(This action replaces Glen's previous action item.)
				[RETIRED] 
[.2]      2002-12-05: JMarsh to write up a proposed resolution for 
                      output-only ops and send it by email.
				[DONE]
?         2002-12-05: JeffS to see what would be needed to publish 
                      his TCP binding on output only as a Note. 
				[PENDING]
?         2002-12-05: Kevin to write up example use of output operation 
                      and send to list. 
				[DONE]
[.3]      2002-12-05: dbooth to put URL for current minutes on group 
                      page
				[DONE]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Dec/0047.html
[.3] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#agenda

--------------------------------------------------------------------
4.  Administrivia
  a. Jan FTF: book rooms early - no reserved block 
  b. FTFs in May and beyond.
  c. Future telcons.  Dec 26th cancelled for sure.  Any others?

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
5. Publication issues
     New drafts appear to be postponed.  New date?
  a. (w|W)eb (s|S)ervice [.1].  WS Arch has chosen a different answer
(Web service).  Do we sync up now or later?

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Dec/0037.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
6.  New Issues.  Merged issues list [.1].

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
7.  Output operations.
      State of the debate [.1].  Youenn's thoughts [.2]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Dec/0047.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Dec/0039.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
8.  Properties and features.
      Glen's slice [.1].  Amy's revised proposal [.2]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Sep/0004.html 
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Nov/0083.html 

-------------------------------------------------------------------- 
9.  Proposal: MEP support in operations [.1].

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Nov/0085.html


	ACTION: Jonathan to find material proposing restricting services to a single portType
	<plh-fr> MEP call notes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Dec/0070.html
	JM: no conclusion yet on which MEP's require bindings
	JM: summarized the con call about MEP's
	Dale: Does Service means server?
	<jeffsch> Here are notes from the prior meeting where we wrestled with how many port types a service will implement
	<jeffsch> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Oct/0028.html
	JM: Do we differentiate Service being Client or Server Service
	Sanjiva: there is no need to make that distinction.
	Dale: From interface description point of view. who gets to announce the description?
	gudge: WSDL is written from point of view of whoever publishes it.
	JM: Do we need two kinds of MEP's one at abstract level and one at binding level?
	JM: general agreement is to define MEP's at abstract level.
	jack: two options 1. abstract MEP's that are more extensible
		2. stick with four and decompose others.
	jack: abstract MEP for req/res and soap MEP that says it implements that.
	youenn: reuse the soap MEP work and publish our own work rather than telling XMLP group to define \
		  abstract MEP's independent of SOAP
	sanjiva: soap is one of the way we define for communication.
	<jeffsch> When you say 'state machine', do you mean the sequence and cardinality of messages?
	glen: soap MEP's just describe just how to move soap messages across.
	<jjm> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Nov/0136.html
	jjm: WS-Arch is looking to take some of the SOAP concepts and making them into abstract.
	JM: taking two input and output operations should we start writing SOAP MEP's
	JM: does anybody disagree that we need to create or find MEP specification for input/output or inverse
	ACTION: JM to find volunteers for writing MEP's for input/output
		  and output/input
	jeffsch: I'm not giving up my idea that we don't provide other operation types than the four we have
	glen: i think we need both concrete proposals and also examples.
	youenn: i would like to normative request/response and its reverse.
	ACTION: will try to produce MEP proposals for request/response, Input, solicit/response
	JM: define request/response at abstract level and bind it to SOAP req/res or response MEP in binding
	ACTION: jack to write up text on SOAP response MEP after Don send his proposal for requrest/response MEP

--------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Removing message.  Roberto's proposal at [.1].

Waiting revised proposal from Roberto.  Direction suggested by Dale [.2]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Nov/0035.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Dec/0040.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
11. HTTP Binding Issues (6a, 41)
    Jeffrey recommends no change [.1].
    Sanjiva is mulling this over [.2].
    Dependent upon Glen's feature/property proposal.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Jun/0102.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Jul/0067.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
12. BindingType proposal from Kevin [.1].
      Awaiting further work on Part 2 AM.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Aug/0009.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Issue 28: transport='uri' [.1]
    Dependent upon Glen's feature/property proposal.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x28

--------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Issue 2: SOAPAction has been deprecated, as of SOAP 1.2 [.1].
    Jean-Jacques proposal at [.2].
    Jacek's addendum at [.3].
    Dependent upon Glen's feature/property proposal.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x2
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Sep/0050.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Sep/0056.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
15. Issue 25: Interaction between W3C XML Schema and SOAP Data Model 
    Gudge's explains at [.1], Roberto's options at [.2].
    Waiting for more detail in ACM?

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Jun/0186.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Jul/0071.html

- Jonathan
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of Action Items:
2002-12-19: Jonathan to find material proposing restricting services to a single portType
2002-12-19: JM to find volunteers for writing MEP's for input/output and output/input
2002-12-19: jack to write up text on SOAP response MEP after Don send his proposal for requrest/response MEP


Adi Sakala
Senior Software Engineer
XMLBus Development
END 2 ANYWHERE
200 West Street
Waltham, MA 02451
USA Tel (781) 902-8161
Fax (781) 902-8001
adi.sakala@iona.com
Received on Wednesday, 8 January 2003 17:11:46 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:22 GMT