W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > June 2002

Minutes, 6 June 2002 WS Description telcon

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:15:39 -0700
Message-ID: <330564469BFEC046B84E591EB3D4D59C06735ECA@red-msg-08.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

Present:
 David Booth            W3C
 Allen Brookes          Rogue Wave Software
 Roberto Chinnici       Sun Microsystems
 Glen Daniels           Macromedia
 Youenn Fablet          Canon
 Dietmar Gaertner       Software AG
 Tom Jordahl            Macromedia
 Jacek Kopecky          Systinet
 Sandeep Kumar          Cisco Systems
 Philippe Le Hégaret    W3C
 Steve Lind             AT&T
 Kevin Canyang Liu      SAP
 Jonathan Marsh         Microsoft
 Dale Moberg            Cyclone Commerce
 Jean-Jacques Moreau    Canon
 Jochen Ruetschlin      DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology
 Waqar Sadiq            Electronic Data Systems
 Krishna Sankar         Cisco Systems
 Jeffrey Schlimmer      Microsoft
 Igor Sedukhin          Computer Associates
 Jerry Thrasher         Lexmark
 Sanjiva Weerawarana    IBM
 Don Wright             Lexmark
 Joyce Yang             Oracle

Regrets:
 Michael Champion       Software AG
 Laurent De Teneuille   L'Echangeur
 Tim Finin              University of Maryland
 Dan Kulp               IONA
 Michael Mahan          Nokia
 Pallavi Malu           Intel
 Michael Mealling       Verisign
 Don Mullen             Tibco
 Johan Pauhlsson        L'Echangeur
 Stefano Pogliani       Sun
 Arthur Ryman           IBM
 Daniel Schutzer        Citigroup
 William Stumbo         Xerox
 Dave Solo              Citigroup
 Sandra Swearingen      U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Air Force
 William Vambenepe      Hewlett-Packard
 Prasad Yendluri        webMethods, Inc.

Absent:
 Mike Ballantyne        Electronic Data Systems
 Keith Ballinger        Microsoft
 Mike Davoren           W. W. Grainger
 Steve Graham           GGF
 Mario Jeckle           DaimlerChrysler Research and Technology
 Mike McHugh            W. W. Grainger
 Jeff Mischkinsky       Oracle
 Adi Sakala             IONA Technologies
 Steve Tuecke           GGF

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Jun/0021.html

Scribe : Krishna Sankar

Approval of minutes : Minutes approved

Review Action Items :

DONE 2002.05.23: GlenD to post email adding an issue: Are MEP's hard 
                 coded in the spec, or can they be extended through 
                 extensibility? 
ASSIGNED TO JOYCE 2002.05.23: JeffM to write up rationale for 
                 dropping operation overloading. 
DONE 2002.05.23: Philippe, Jonathan, Waqar to work on getting the usage
                 scenarios published.
DONE 2002.05.30: Jonathan will send email to the group regarding attending
                 the FTF by phone.
DONE 2002.05.30: Prasad to raise an issue of spec inconsistency about 
                 optional parts.
RETIRED 2002.05.30: GlenD to write up his ideas re: extensibility



F2F:

	Tuesday will adjourn early and the host has graciously agreed for a tour of the tech lab 5 to 6

	Maps are available in the web site as links from the logistics page

	Dinner at Sunday, meet in the Novatel lobby, 4:00 PM


Jonathan : Propose any issues to be discussed at the f2f in the list.

Sanjeeva : Two issues to discuss - 1) WSDL specs based on SOAP 1.2 ? 2) Service type. Will post both in the mailing list

Telephone access: AT present no plans - equipment already spoken for. There is a possibility that the Arch WG would get a phone set up and if so, may be we could use that. Follow up with Chris/Heather on this.

Requirements Input : Still waiting. Three areas - requirements marked as drafts, response from the public list and the feedback from the arch WG.
Goal : To complete all and republish the document as our best guess requirement

Last minute questions : None

Usage Scenario : Published

Issues :

Start discussing issues now and also send them to the mailing list. Jonathan will schedule for the f2f.

Overloading operations : Now waiting for Joyce

Extensibility/Open Content Model:

	Discussions on QName Vs URI, 'required' attribute,...

Some agreement appeared that element-level granularity is unnecessary.  The wsdl:required attribute will likely be removed in favor of something like a global <wsdl:required-extensions> element.  Will continue to discuss at FTF.

Action : Glen to write a proposal and detail the concepts. URI as a string or a namespace URI, distinguish between what would be machine understandable and what wouldn't. URI might not point to  a machine readable document, but a human understandable content.

Extensible message exchange patterns :

Glenn summarized the issue. The idea is to have MEPs instead of message types. This will provide an inherently extensible system. The request-response MEP would be required.

This is not a move towards orchestration, but on the wire message exchange patterns. 

Would WSDL MEPS and SOAP 1.2 MEPs be the same ? In all cases ?

General consensus : Good idea, need more time to think and analyze issues including SOAP 1.2 relationship. 

Continue discussion at f2f.

ACTION: Glen to explain SOAP MEP as a presentation at f2f

Remove solicit-response and output-only operations? : related to MEP.

Action : Jeffrey to write proposal and discuss at f2f

service type : Sanjeeva working on a proposal. Deferred to f2f

Non-SOAP HTTP Binding : 

Jeffrey : There are about 6 items. Not really important. 

ACTION: Jeffrey to write summary and revisit in two weeks.

Should Operations permit alternate and multiple responses :

Originated by Prasad. Discuss at f2f.

portType extensibility : related to the extensibility proposal under discussion.

Revisit after the proposal is completed and make sure this is covered.

Other issues 

	Publishing issues to be discussed at f2f:

i)	Name. WSDL 1.2 / Any other name ?
ii)	Namespace : ask for a W34c namespace URI ?


Time and place of next f2fs :

Sep 9-11, Washington DC, hosted by DISA

Nov 11-14, Macromedia or Sun. East coast

Meeting adjourned early. 

Best wishes for a safe travel and f2f



Summary of Action items:
2002.06.06: Joyce to write up rationale for dropping operation overloading.
2002.06.06: GlenD to write up his proposed extensibility spec
2002.06.06: GlenD and JJ will prepare a Soap MEP presentation for F2F
2002.06.06: Jeffrey to write solicit-response proposal to discuss at f2f
Received on Friday, 7 June 2002 12:16:11 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:58:20 GMT