RE: Proposed replacement text for Section 1.6

A nit perhaps -- I don't understand the use of the phrase "descriptive
messages" in the second "main architectural constraint".  It's the word
"descriptive" that puzzles me.  Describing what?  Are you saying that
one characteristic of SOA's is that at least some of the messages
exchanged are involved with describing the interfaces, and that other
messages are involved with whatever the interfaces do?  If so, I think
you should be more specific, but it is by no means clear to me that this
is what you mean.

Another thought -- and I realize that this may be stepping briskly into
a familiar swamp that has no bottom -- but it seems to me that the
section on REST, although accurate and semi-useful as it is, would be
even more useful if it went a little further.  It is awfully brief.  As
it stands, it probably means something to people who are already
hideously familiar with the REST controversies, but I don't think it's
real useful to those who are not.  One might say, "So what"?

For what it is worth, here is part of what I said about REST in an
internal document:

The REST style, in my view, does not lend itself either to business
applications of the RPC style of Web services nor to automating via Web
services core business processes that involve complex document
exchanges. Both of these business applications benefit from the layers
of protocols that go beyond what is allowed in the REST architecture.
There may be, however, other business functions for which the REST
approach may be more appropriate. In particular, I think that there may
be a good case for using the REST style of Web services in circumstances
where a simple service is to be provided to a very large and possibly
diverse audience who are "on their own" how they use the service.