RE: The UR Trout: Web Services, REST, SOAP

Personally I think the defining notion is WSDL, along with a mandatory
binding to SOAP/HTTP. The mandatory binding is to guarantee interop which
is what I thought is the raison d'etre of this whole effort.

If the WSDL wonks decide that WSDL 1.2 can describe 'everything' that can
be done using a computer on a network, then I guess we'll have to burn that
bridge when we come to it.

Remember, a definition to be useful, has to exclude (non-theoretical and
useful) things. Otherwise you've just got yet another definition for
'everything'.

Since most of the web service advocates don't seem to think that web
services include CORBA, then certainly one litmus test for any definition
is whether it includes CORBA. (I'll even be nice and won't ask what happens
if I define an XML schema for GIOP messages, encode them as XML, and send
them along?)

cheers,
   jeff