RE: The UR Trout: Web Services, REST, SOAP

Jeff,
Please see my comments below.

Ugo

+1

> If the WSDL wonks decide that WSDL 1.2 can describe 'everything' that can
> be done using a computer on a network, then I guess we'll have to burn that
> bridge when we come to it.

Well, so far WSDL 1.2 defines some specific bindings, but does not say that other bindings are excluded. So I would conclude that in principle WSDL 1.2 can bind to 'everything'. The issue, I think, is whether we want to say that those bindings are Web services if no alternative SOAP/HTTP binding is also provided.

> Remember, a definition to be useful, has to exclude (non-theoretical and
> useful) things. Otherwise you've just got yet another definition for 'everything'.

+1

> Since most of the web service advocates don't seem to think that web
> services include CORBA, then certainly one litmus test for any definition
> is whether it includes CORBA. (I'll even be nice and won't ask what happens
> if I define an XML schema for GIOP messages, encode them as XML, and send
> them along?)

I don't fully understand your position here. Following your first statement, I would say that a service described by WSDL and offering two end points, one bound to SOAP/HTTP and another bound to CORBA, would qualify as a Web service.