RE: Reliable messaging; solution or requirement?

FWIW, RM, which addresses the reliable delivery message (or a
set of messages, in stream or datagram fashion) from one source
to one or more destinations, where more than two pieces of
*application* (as opposed to system or network) software
are likely involved in the process, goes way beyond the problem
your described as "... two pieces of [application] software
distributed on an unreliable network ..."

Well, we can go on endlessly split words; but that's not
an area where I'd channel my time and energy into, because
my beef: what got me into the fray at first, was against
replacing a widely adopted term, namely "Reliable Messaging,"
with something equal or less in the context Suresh had given.
Looks like RM the term is here to stay.  So I'm moving on.

Cheers,

Joe Hui
Exodus, a Cable & Wireless service