Reliable messaging; solution or requirement?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:57:18 -0400
To: Joseph Hui <Joseph.Hui@exodus.net>
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:22:36PM -0700, Joseph Hui wrote:
> There's a chasm between our understandings in what constitutes
> a specific solution (based on our previous few message exchanges),

Let's see if I can capture the two positions.

You (and others) appear to believe that unreliable messaging is a
problem requiring a solution.

My belief is that the problem is "reliable coordination".  That is,
how do two pieces of software distributed on an unreliable network,
coordinate to achieve some goal in a reliable manner (such that both
know that the goal has been achieved or failed, etc..)?  So I see
"reliable messaging" as just one possible solution to that problem.

Does that help?