Re: Reliable messaging; solution or requirement?

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 02:21:40PM -0700, Joseph Hui wrote:
> FWIW, RM, which addresses the reliable delivery message (or a
> set of messages, in stream or datagram fashion) from one source
> to one or more destinations, where more than two pieces of
> *application* (as opposed to system or network) software
> are likely involved in the process, goes way beyond the problem
> your described as "... two pieces of [application] software
> distributed on an unreliable network ..."

Mea culpa, of course I meant "two or more pieces ...".  I was still
stuck in TCP mode.

For example, here's how you could implement the classic dining
philosophers coordination problem with REST/HTTP;

http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-August/002923.html

To answer Suresh; a "goal" in this context is the problem that is trying
to be solved.  For example, ordering shoes, getting a stock quote,
setting the thermostat, etc..

And while I'm here, to David; 2PC is just another solution to some kinds
of reliability problems, but it isn't what I was talking about (I happen
to think that it is unsuitable for the Internet).  I was talking about
the general problem of reliable coordination that these reliability
technologies (2PC, RM) try to be a solution for (in part or in whole).