Re: OWL translations: French, Japanese, Korean... wow!

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:26:38 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org>
Cc: www-webont-wg@w3.org

* Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org> [2004-05-08 00:04+0200]
> Pat Hayes wrote:
> Indeed. And if anyone ever hears of a Spanish version, please let us
> know about it ASAP.
> Pat
> Hi Pat,
> Sidar's translators group [1] are slowly working on translations of the
> RDF and OWL specs, but unfortunately at the moment the people involved are
> few and busy. Currently we're working on the RDF Primer, but there are
> others working on OWL.
> A short note explaining who would use it (and even better a little aid in
> taking on a part of the translation) may help to motivate the work. One of
> the difficulties is that most of the people there are not RDF experts,
> which makes it difficult to translate the specs. (On the other hand it
> means a few people learn... :-)

One brief point to add re translations. The RDF and RDFS namespace URis
have rdfs:seeAlso pointers which link to a table of contents RDF 'page'
which in turn links to translations of the rdfs:label and rdfs:comment
text for RDF and RDFS namespaces. At the current time, only French, but
there is at least Spanish (via Charles) and German in progress. See
for pointers.

To make translation easier, I combined both RDF and RDFS content into a
single document.
http://www.w3.org/2000/01/combined-ns-translation.rdf.fr is an example

I would be happy to also add OWL's namespace text into this, so that
translators do OWL too. However, OWL http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl
has only labels, not comments. Are there non-controversial short pieces
of text that we could add into this namespace and its translations, for
each OWL class, property, etc?