Re: Proposed response to Martin Merry, HP

From: Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 19:45:00 +0100
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>

On May 13, Jim Hendler writes:

> >Please help me find the relevant decisions
> >and/or find evidence that those implementations
> >pass some relevant tests and/or add an
> >issue to the issues list.
>
> >Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/
>

> OK, this I can do -- the problem with the "relevant rulings" is that
> our "what is in Lite v. DL" was a very longterm discussion, with a
> number of pieces of decisions made along the way.  I now regret that
> we didn't "micro issue" this, but we didn't and now have to deal with
> it.  I will see if I can mine the log for a while, and see what I can
> come up.  Implementations to specific tests is a problem because we
> have only some of these run on our specific tests yet - but they're
> coming -- Jos and Ian have sent email saying they handle these - I
> will see if I can mine the mail archive and will try to rework my
> answer based on your comments
>   -JH

Unfortunately I do not have a system that can handle oneOf, and I hope
that I never claimed to have one. What I did claim is that I have an
algorithm that can handle oneOf for ontologies that don't include
inverse.

What I do have is a system that can handle inverse, and I have
successfully run numerous tests that include inverse properties. These
tests can also be handled by RACER and Cerebra.

Ian