Re: comments on OWL test cases

On May 13, Jeremy Carroll writes:

> (This message predates
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2003May/0168.html
> and gives a different tale on datatypes - I will look at the decision in the
> issues list next
> )
>
> Hmm it seems I will have to do more work than I had been planning at this
> stage ...
>
> > 4.2.1  (suggestion) Might be better to allow a syntax checker to
> > ignore some lower levels, eg I'd be very happy with an engine that
> > would say 'DL' for Lite docs as well as DL-not-Lite ones.
>
> I am not accepting this suggestion.
>
> Rationale:
>
> that may be a useful tool, there are many useful tools we could have defined.
> The one we did define is not, prehaps, very useful.
>
> I do not believe the motive for these definitions is their fundamental
>  utility but more they are simple to state and give developers a common
>  target. Given the (im)maturity of the area we would then expect developers
>  to have their own spin on other functionality.
>
> As an example, the syntax checker I wrote gives error messages consisting of
> (hopefully) small subgraphs that are not in OWL Lite, or not in OWL DL, if so
> desired. I hope this is useful, but I wouldn't expect it to be standardised.
>
> I have already had demand for an OWL parser , which I take to be a device
>  that returns an abstract syntax tree from RDF/XML output. That I think is
>  what some users will want - however I am not convinced that we should make
>  the abstract syntax obligatory in such a way.
>
> I believe that the current syntax checker specification is sufficient to give
> some idea of what we expect, without being overly spelled out (i.e. the
> spelling out that we have done is clearly insufficient for most purposes).
>
> > 4.2.2
> > Er... I'm embarrassed that I don't know the answer to this, but is it
> > really the case that any Lite ontology is consistent in Lite iff it
> > is consistent in Full? Is there a proof of that somewhere?
>
> Sandro suggested deleting the line
> "Every OWL Lite consistency checker can be trivially transformed into an OWL
> Full consistency checker. "
>
> I take the rest of the note to follow from the semantic layering results and
> the correspondence theorem.

Also my thinking - seems trivially (lite ont is a DL ont and has same semantics).

> (Actually, these results are currently false -
> see thread concerning intersectionOf bug).
>
> > [Added later: I see that you credit Ian with help on this section. I
> > think the three of us could agree on a suitable wording reasonably
> > quickly.]
>
> I think the usual convention is that Ian gets the credit and I get the blame!

:-)

> Any faults should be attributed to me.
>
> > So I would suggest the following:
> > distinguish a consistency checker (responses are Con/unknown) from an
> > inconsistency checker (Incon/unknown), and define 'complete' for both
> > of them thus:
> > A[n in]consistency  checker is complete if, whenever its input
> > document is [in]consistent, it would eventually (given unlimited, but
> > finite, resources of memory and time) return the answer
> > '[In]consistent'.
> >   Then say a checker is decisive (new word, avoids the 'decision
> > procedure' terminology) if it is both a complete consistency checker
> > and a complete inconsistency checker.  Then remark that there are no
> > decisive checkers for OWL-Full but there are for OWL-Lite and OWL-DL.

I am very much against our inventing new terms like "decisive". The
term complete seems perfectly correct here - we could add complete and
terminating if you insist, but the "terminating" part is often taken
for granted when completeness is claimed (for implementations at
least).

I have to dash now to catch a flight - more later.

Ian