Re: testing that RDF datatypes can have more than one URI name

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: testing that RDF datatypes can have more than one URI name
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:59:35 -0500

> Peter, Jeremy, Jos, and everybody,

> some details about how datatypes work... Peter seems
> to think this was the right thing to do...
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JulSep/0065.html
>
> In a July 11 RDF Core telcon,
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jul/0173.html
> we observed that you can't really test that the same datatype
> can have two URI-names using only RDF machinery, but you probably
> can with OWL (I think that's the crux of the matter, but it's
> been so long that I'm not sure). I accepted an action (20030711#4)
> to ask the OWL WG to add such a test.
>
> I meant to actually design the test and propose it to the WG,
> but it's been several weeks and I haven't managed to do that,
> so before this action item gets any stinkier, I'm going to
> just ask. Peter, maybe you can design a test? Jeremy? Jos?
>
> This isn't on the critical path for OWL CR publication, FYI.

It is quite easy in OWL Full, at least it is easy to do what I think you
want.

Here is a QName triples version (translate as appropriate for RDF/XML)

	xsd:decimal owl:sameAs ex:bar .
	ex:xx ex:yy "01^^ex:bar .

owl full entails

	ex:xx ex:yy "1"^^xsd:decimal .

because ex:bar and xsd:decimal have the same denotation and thus have the
same L2V mapping.

Note that this only depends on the datatype map mapping xsd:decimal to the
XSD decimal type, and does not depend on ex:bar being in the datatype map.