Re: LANG: collect idiom for inclusion in the language

From: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:02:43 +0100
To: Webont <www-webont-wg@w3.org>
Raphael Volz wrote:

> The Harmelen/Horrocks doc
> (http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh/spool/OWL-first-sketch.html) states that
> * collect idiom for inclusion in the language
>       This should be based on
>           o experience with DAML+OIL
>           o our use-cases
>           o experience with earlier ontology/KR-languages
>
> is a next step. We elaborated this issue in our submission to
> the Semantic Web workshop to WWW11:
> http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/rvo/modular.pdf

Raphael,

I'm somewhat confused by this. I looked at your paper. It's interesting stuff, but if I understand it correctly, it's main concern is with modularity, and corresponding issues like naming, referring, importing, etc. As such, I don't see how this contributes to frame-based idiom for OWL.

Your paper seems more relevant to the other "next step to take" from our first sketch:

> deal with other requirements/objectives
>      The above focusses mostly on the ontological expressiveness of the language,
>      and not really at requirements like tagging, importing ontologies, etc.

Can you correct me if I'm wrong?

Frank.
   ----