Re: On Standardization of the Web Ontology Language - Trends & Controversies Section

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:23:38 -0500
To: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, Steffen Staab <sst@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>, www-webont-wg@w3.org
At 8:47 PM +0100 2/16/02, Frank van Harmelen wrote:
>Steffen Staab wrote:
>
>>  you find some material about
>>
>>  On Standardization of the Web Ontology Language
>>
>>  destined for the IEEE Intelligent Systems March/April
>>  Trends & Controversies Section in draft form at
>>
>>  http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/~sst/is/WebOntologyLanguage/
>
>I would really recommend that the WebOnt membership reads these columns.
>Not because I happened to write one, but because it is a very good survey
>of the different views on what should go into our language.
>
>Reading these 9 columns of 2 pages each will really help you form your
>opinion on what should be in our language, and what not
>(it sure did for me).
>
>It's also very amusing reading in places.
>
>Frank.
>    ----
>
>PS: many thanks to Steffen for getting this material together,
>and for making it available to us in preview form.

I agree with Frank - when Steffen sent this to me and I read it, a
lot of what has been in our recent mailing list messages became
clearer to me because I understood where people are coming from.
Note that my piece in there is not a neutral statement (but perhaps
seeing what an anarchist I really am will help people understand that
even my screeds on this list are relatively neutral for me  :->)
  -JH

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler