Re: HTML4 + <script><![CDATA[ </ENDTAG> ]]></script>

David Dorward, Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:23:17 +0000:

> On 5 Feb 2010, at 14:14, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> 1. From an aesthetic point of view, it is just an ugly mass of code
>>
>> Less ugly, to me, than end tag escaping.
>
> Tag escaping is simple, valid, and doesn't depend on incorrect behaviour.

Indeed, it is an option. But many pages are invalid because they don't
do this.

And for my own part, all this started because I stumbled upon a kind of
script which did not accept end tag escaping - because the script was
actually a XML language ...

To me, the only alternative, it is really to use XHTML instead of HTML4
... That actually is simpler.

>>> 2. It depends on browsers implementing HTML 4.01 incorrectly in order
>>> to work
>>
>> HTML4 warns against using </>  - doesn't expect correct implementation.
>
> HTML 4 warns against *authors* using </> because there are a lot of
> incorrect implementations out there. It doesn't exclude the
> possibility of correct implementations.

I agree. But *I* exclude that possibility. ;-)

>>> 3. It throws warnings in the validator
>>
>> Of course. The congratulations message counts more, though. ;-)
>
> And using the standard method gives neither warnings nor errors.

I feel you put a double meaning in 'standard' here. ;-) A warning is a
warning. But still within the standard.
--
leif halvard silli