Re: Valid use of <embed> in HTML4

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:59:24 +0100
To: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Cc: Tatham Oddie <tatham@oddie.com.au>, 'Cory S' <veneno-games@hotmail.com>, www-validator@w3.org
David Dorward, Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:39:00 +0000:

> On 5 Feb 2010, at 14:31, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>> Your remark about '--' inside HTML comments in the parallel thread made
>> me realize that there is (usually) a simpler way:
>>
>> 	<!-- -- -->
>> 	<embed src="http://example.org/" ></embed>
>> 	<!-- -- -->
>
> Some browsers (Slightly older versions of Opera for example)

Would have been cool to see ... Do you know how old? Version 1 or 2?

Opera is also the only _current_ browser to implement <![CDATA[ ]]> the
way it is meant to work. (That is: as long as the <![CDATA[ ]]> appears
outside the script element.)

> implement comments correctly and so will treat the embed element as
> being commented out.

If they are that old, then they might not even support <embed>. ;-) Or
at least they do not support such things as <svg> - and other foreign
elements that you might want to put there _today_.

> ... which just goes to show that writing deliberately bad HTML in
> order to hide other deliberately bad HTML from QA tools is A Bad Idea.

Well, one must always test in order to be sure that it works ...

I think the attitude is more important that the method. It depends on
what you use the tricks for. When standards are out of touch with
reality, the there may be reasons to break them.
--
leif halvard silli