Re: Valid use of <embed> in HTML4

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:39:00 +0000
Cc: Tatham Oddie <tatham@oddie.com.au>, 'Cory S' <veneno-games@hotmail.com>, www-validator@w3.org
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>

On 5 Feb 2010, at 14:31, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Your remark about '--' inside HTML comments in the parallel thread made
> me realize that there is (usually) a simpler way:

> 	<embed src="http://example.org/" ></embed>

Some browsers (Slightly older versions of Opera for example) implement comments correctly and so will treat the embed element as being commented out.

... which just goes to show that writing deliberately bad HTML in order to hide other deliberately bad HTML from QA tools is A Bad Idea.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk